Faith Baptist Church had its beginning in prayer. A small group of Christians prayed many years for a Baptist church to be started in Stoughton. In September 1954, they began to meet with Pastor Robert C. Morgan at his home and Faith Baptist Church was formed. Four couples were the charter members. The first baptism was held July 31st, 1955 in Sharon at Camp Wonderland. Pastor Morgan baptized seventeen people in Lake Massapoag.
The church met in various homes, then at the Fellowship House at the F. C. Phillips Screw Company in Stoughton. In October 1955, Faith Baptist Church of Stoughton was formally incorporated. In March 1957, the Draper Company of Canton donated land on the corner of Pearl and Stoughton Streets to the church. A parcel of land to gain access to this property was acquired from the Kelly Corporation. The Town of Canton offered the church an adjacent four-acre lot, appraised at $10,000.00, for $1,000.00. Through God's intervention, the property was actually purchased for $100.00. On May 15, 1960, ground was broken. Reverend Edward Hale, Church Extension Director of the Baptist General Conference, was an invaluable source of help in the building of our church home. Thanksgiving service was held that year in our drafty, cold basement church, without windows or doors, and with a dirt floor. This environment did not deter the founders from praising the Lord for the beginning of a new church home. The first service in the completed basement was held on March 15 1961.
In 1962, Pastor Morgan resigned to follow the Lord's leading to Korea and Reverend Roger Bradley was installed as pastor, serving our fellowship for one year. In 1963, Reverend Frank G. Snook became pastor. The church continued to grow and in 1969 stepped out in faith with a vote to expand the facilities and build the top to our basement church. In June 1969, an anonymous donor offered to match the $10,000 pledged by the members during that month. With $20,000 in hand and a dozen families willing to mortgage their homes as collateral, the building program was on its way. The new level consisted of a large sanctuary, a pastoral study, an office and classrooms. Members painted the walls and fixtures, inside and out, to save money to purchase new pews. During the construction of our new church, members and the community provided facilities to continue our various services and activities. Sunday morning services were held at the Stoughton V.F.W. hall, while Sunday evening services were at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Charles Mulholland. Prayer meetings were held at the home of Mr. and Mrs. Earl Staples and the choir rehearsed in the home of Mr. and Mrs. Donald Ryley. The new church was dedicated on Sunday, October 11, 1970 with two hundred members and friends in attendance. Pastor Snook resigned in September of 1977, and Reverend John R. Baillie was called to be our pastor. Under the faithful ministry of Pastor John and Mrs. Thea Baillie, Faith Baptist experienced spiritual and physical growth. In the late fall of 1978, a beautiful seven-room parsonage was constructed. It was completed and dedicated in January 1979.
The church continued to grow and God showered us with immense blessings. The need for a larger sanctuary became evident. After much prayer, at a special business meeting on March 16, 1983, with fifty-three members present, a unanimous vote to build the new sanctuary was passed. The members in attendance pledged to give the money to wipe out the existing mortgage of $29,000.00. Groundbreaking followed the morning service on November 27th, 1983. The new sanctuary was dedicated June 17th, 1984.
Support for missions programs and for individual missionaries has long been an integral part of the life of the church. Church by-laws stipulate that twenty percent of all monies given to the church’s general fund go to support missions. Over the years church youth and adults have joined mission trips to a number of different states and one to Mexico.
Christian Education programs such as 3D, adult Bible studies, Vacation Bible School, Pioneer Club, and Youth Group are a vital part of our church life. A church library was created during the 1980’s and now contains many wonderful books and videos for both children and adults.
Music is another important part of our ministry. The church choir has been joined at various times over the years by Solar Energy (a young adult group), Teen Praise, Kids Praise and a Bell Choir. Other members of the congregation have praised our Lord as soloists, instrumentalists, and by singing in quartets and trios. The choir and other groups also shared God in the community by going “on the road” to neighboring churches and malls.
In October 1994, Faith Baptist Church celebrated its 40th anniversary. The entire church family joined together in the preparation of food, the cleaning of the grounds and the decorating of the church. The church and parsonage were opened to all and we were blessed with the attendance of friends, neighbors, and invited guests. In January 1995 Pastor John Baillie announced his retirement effective April 30th, and the church family geared up for a transition period. In August 1995, after many hours of prayer and searching, the Lord led the church to call Pastor Stanley W. Schultz, Jr. to the pulpit. Pastor Schultz was installed in October 1995 and ordained within the Baptist General Conference in 1996.
Faith Baptist Church has continued to grow under Pastor Stan’s leadership, as new programs are added and existing programs are strengthened. In 2004 we celebrated fifty years of God's blessing. Through His grace much has been accomplished and yet, there is so much more ahead. We look forward to His continued blessing as we stay true to our core belief, moving "Forward in Faith."